Q. I've read there are some free operating systems. Can anyone tell me about them and where you get them? Do they run like Windows or would I have to learn a whole new system? Do they include a lot of drivers so it can find the drivers I'd need since I don't have them for my computer? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
A. I tried Ubuntu about a year ago....best OS I have ever seen. And I was around computers before Windows was born.
It is a little different- but much better and easier than any windows product.
The only downside is that if you are a gamer....you will need to keep windows.
P.S. I am still using Ubuntu. Ubuntu can use KDE, XFCE, or Gnome desktop.
Google will come out with Chrome OS later this year. They have already released Chrome browser. It will be a free OS.
There are over 100 different Linux OS's. Most are free. They usually all come with all the applications you will ever need- free of course.
It is a little different- but much better and easier than any windows product.
The only downside is that if you are a gamer....you will need to keep windows.
P.S. I am still using Ubuntu. Ubuntu can use KDE, XFCE, or Gnome desktop.
Google will come out with Chrome OS later this year. They have already released Chrome browser. It will be a free OS.
There are over 100 different Linux OS's. Most are free. They usually all come with all the applications you will ever need- free of course.
What is the best free operating system?
Q. I seen many operating systems in Linux that are free. What is the best and takes up the least amount of space. Please also tell me the recommended space needed for the os.
A. Redhat is good, Ubuntu is good but larger.
Keep in mind these are harder to install because they use UNIX command line interfaces so you must learn a bit of command-line entry. They're basically a bit like using MS-DOS when installing but-
They are VERY STABLE compared to Windows!
**Daniel G, not true! The linux installations often require configuring which looks similar to MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 assignment of resources.
Keep in mind these are harder to install because they use UNIX command line interfaces so you must learn a bit of command-line entry. They're basically a bit like using MS-DOS when installing but-
They are VERY STABLE compared to Windows!
**Daniel G, not true! The linux installations often require configuring which looks similar to MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 assignment of resources.
why do people who try free operating systems like linux ubuntu switch back to windows?
Q. I recently tried Ubuntu and it seems to work great as a windows replacement. I would like to hear from people who don't like it and why.
A. "Linux is only free if your time isn't valuable." - JWZ
I think this quote explains it all. There will always be something blocking you in Linux if you've used Windows for most of your life. If your friends, work, whatever use Windows you will most likely switch back to Windows because that's what makes you productive the most.
I personally love UNIX, but I can only use Mac or Windows for a desktop. But I use SSH to read my email, chat, program, etc. However my time is valuable and people send me Excel sheets and all sorts of crap. I have no place in telling them to switch to make my life easier. I just have to get stuff done. Windows (or Mac) makes this much easier than Ubuntu. I don't have to download specific software, configure programs, etc. to get stuff done. Infact to be truthful, I don't want to deal with word processors, spreadsheets, outlook, etc. at all. However the nature of my work (and possibly anyone who has a desk job) requires this.
I think this quote explains it all. There will always be something blocking you in Linux if you've used Windows for most of your life. If your friends, work, whatever use Windows you will most likely switch back to Windows because that's what makes you productive the most.
I personally love UNIX, but I can only use Mac or Windows for a desktop. But I use SSH to read my email, chat, program, etc. However my time is valuable and people send me Excel sheets and all sorts of crap. I have no place in telling them to switch to make my life easier. I just have to get stuff done. Windows (or Mac) makes this much easier than Ubuntu. I don't have to download specific software, configure programs, etc. to get stuff done. Infact to be truthful, I don't want to deal with word processors, spreadsheets, outlook, etc. at all. However the nature of my work (and possibly anyone who has a desk job) requires this.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
No comments:
Post a Comment