Sunday, January 6, 2013

What is the best way to back up files if I want to access them with linux running laptop later?

Q. I have an old laptop that will die soon- it is running xp. I want to back up my mp3/photos/word/ppt documents. I may need the applications if my old laptop is still usable, but I really just want to be able to transfer my photos/mp3 etc files to the new laptop running linux. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking portable external HD, but how to do this?

A. Hello,

Connect your laptops using RJ-45 cable.

On your Linux laptop browse the windows share using the following tip.

Press ALT+F2. On the Run window give smb://<windows_IP>/<share_name>

Your windows share will be opened. You can simply drag and drop to your linux folder

my linux laptop wont allow me to download anything off the internet?
Q. it says that i dont have the right program. what program should i get?

A. Since you lack specifics, I'm going to take a wild guess. My wild guess is that you are trying to download Window installer files, which end with a .exe extention. Linux by default will not do anything with .exe files. You can try to install Wine, and with varying success be able to install them, it all depends on the specific program. I don't know specifics to tell you how to install Wine on your system, but this page can help http://www.winehq.org/download/

I want to use a cheap linux laptop with Foxit for reading PDFs. Any advice?
Q. My plan is to use Foxit because it allows you to highlight and annotate sections of the PDF. Or at least it allows these functions in Windows. If that's the sole purpose of the laptop, what are the minimum specs that you think I could get away with? And are there better Linux apps for PDF markup? Thanks!

A. You could also use "pdftohtml" to convert the file and highlight text that way. It wouldn't take much processing power under Linux to do it either way. "GhostScript" may also be useful under either Windows or Linux, since it can also read .PS files, as well. A 500 MHz K6-2 or Pentium II/III processor would be enough to do the job.

~~ ScienceMikey




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment