Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How to test bandwidth/capacity of a router/network?

Q. Hi, I'm running a Starcraft II tournament that will require 8-10 computers that will be connected to the Internet at the same time, playing 4 head to head games simultaneously. Last tournament, the internet would crash during gameplay, when all 8 computers were running and we had to settle with playing with only 2 matches at the same time.

The network consisted of a DD-WRT WRT54GS connected to another router (supplying the internet connection) via DD-WRT's Wireless Bridge function. This allowed us to move the router to the front of the building while maintaining a network connection. All of the computers were hooked up to a cheap switch via 10/100 ethernet which was then hooked up to the DD-WRT router via 10/100 ethernet. I noticed that when our network crashed and the internet connection ceased, the DD-WRT router needed a restart in order to get back up.

I need a way to test the network or router's capacity. Are there any (free) utilities out there that I can use to simulate network load to find the breaking point? What can I do to prevent the router from crashing, and what are causes of it crashing? This has happened before on the same router, but with regular home usage. Even with DD-WRT the WRT54GS is pretty unreliable.

A. If you can put a linux box on each side of the router, use the iperf utility to test raw throughput. You could pull this off with 2 laptops with live ubuntu cd's or whatever.

If you are smart enough to be rolling DD-WRT then you can handle this.

Pick one box to be the server, one to be the client. then reverse it.
iperf -s on the server
iperf -c ip.address.of.server

or, you could time copying of files over SCP, but then you are adding disk io into the mix. iperf doesn't use any disk. should be pretty close and good for saturation testing.

in my experience, dd-wrt as awesome as it is seems to choke over time with lots of UDP or billions of tcp connections (a la bit torrent).

you *could* take a crappy computer and make a linux router out of it or install pfSense (a BSD distro made specifically to be a router). either way it would likely outperform dd-wrt, although it is more work.

ubuntu with 2 nic's can make a dang good router without much difficulty at all.

How do I increase the Timeout for PHP in Apache?
Q. I have my apache php.ini set to accept files 9GB in size, I am transfering a file 1GB in size to my local server via PHP file transfer. (backing up old system stuff to my server)

It never completes, it just gives up after a while which tells me it is likely a timeout issue. I have tested with files sized 100MB and they go through ok, which timeout setting do I need to change in my php.ini to prevent this from failing?

I could set up an FTP server but FTP is such a hassle to deal with
and I would just share my folder over the network but windows is having "issues" and asking for a password to access the share when no password really is needed.

So I decided to go this php file transfer rout through apache and a php script which allows web-based file uploads.

Thanks

A. Is that Apache on Linux orâI dread to askâon Windows?

For the former, just download to windows pscp and putty from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ and use pscp (a version of scp) to transfer the file. It uses the ssh protocol, so your Linux server is probably already configured to accept connections.

Best free ftp sync - what do you use?
Q. My trail licence with BestSync 2009 has just expired and I am unable to afford to purchace the product: I really liked this program but regrettably I have to move on.

Can you reccomend a free ftp sync to maintain a small website which, importantly, syncs files in real time once they have been modified?

One which is lightweight would be ideal: i really don't need it to be multifunctional and have loads of advanced features that i'm never going to use (ssh, encryption, schedulers, multiparts, compression, etc)

Thanks for your help!
Colin
Thanks for the links â¥Neeraj Yadavâ¥, i'll take a look at them.

Just to clarify, I need a sync which monitors local files and then updates remote files when the local ones are modified

(I know you can get syncs that monitor both but I only have one file on the server, which is modified by the server so I can just update my local copy manually)

A. well yes there are free ones available and might be better than one you using before

Although i am not clear about what SYNC you are taking about,i think FTP client is just a tool to watch the file at some remote location through FTP/telnet protocol.

And yes they keep last modified details in them.

Try ..
1) Filezilla(Open Source (GNU/GPL) FTP client for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux.)
http://filezilla-project.org/

2) winscp(Open source freeware SFTP, FTP and SCP client for Windows.)supports secure layer FTP

http://winscp.net/

Hope this helps
Cheers:)



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment