Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What is the best possible Unix distro for a Fujitsu A6020 Lifebook?

Q. My laptop simply refuses to boot. It is currently loaded with the 64-bit version of Vista (one problem in and of itself). Somehow the boot files have become completely corrupted and I'm just getting tired of toying around with the machine trying to get the OS to fully cooperate. Is there any particular Unix distribution I can load onto the machine in order to stop monkeying around with all the errors on the machine itself and start with a clean slate?

A. For the Windows look and feel, there is Kubuntu, there is PCLinuxOS 2009-2 kde. The free version of Mandriva and several others. Might want to try Mint Linux as a starting point by running it as a liveCD. Most will boot up into memory as a LiveCD so you can chek them out befor installing them. The software once installed is installed through the package management program. It is simply too difficult for a new user to download files and try to install them by hand through the console command.

How do I copy/create multiple files in a unix operating system all based on the same file?
Q. I am attempting to create 200 files all based on the same file. For example, lets say I have text1.txt. I want to be able to create 200 text files with an incremental number like text1.txt - text200.txt. I'm able to do this in DOS quite nicely and I'm sure there's a similar way to do this in bash unix. Please help.

A. You can use this.

x=1
while [ $x -le 200 ]
do
cp new1.txt anew$x.txt
x=$(( $x + 1 ))
done

What unix operating system should I install on my macbook?
Q. I saw here a list of some unix operating systems: http://www.tech-faq.com/download-unix.shtml

Which would be recommended to be installed on my macbook? (Please tell me whether the operating system is known to work without problems on a mac.) I am a comp. sci. student.

A. I don't think you need to install Unix on MAC since MAC OS X is itself built on Unix OS.

All functionality of unix is present in OS X.
Search for origin of OSX on wikipedia.

If you would still like to try another flavour of linux try Ubuntu since it is easy to install and you can first try it using Live CD.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment